An important indicator of a woman’s health is menstrual function. Very often, with improper nutrition, nervous diseases, infectious diseases and other pathologies, as a result of which the general condition is disturbed, various menstrual disorders can occur. This fairly common pathology can occur in women at different ages.
Disorders of the menstrual cycle can be manifested by various symptoms.
- Violation of the regularity of menstrual bleeding;
- The complete absence of menstruation for more than six months (amenorrhea);
- Delay of menstruation – several days and sometimes months are possible;
- Heavy bleeding with clots;
- Scanty menstruating less than three days (oligomenorrhea);
- Pain in the lumbar region and lower abdomen before and during menstruation (algomenorrhea);
- Premenstrual syndrome – marked changes in well-being and mood before menstruation.
The most common disorders of the menstrual cycle contribute to such diseases:
- ovarian pathology, including conditions after operations on them;
- endocrine disorders;
- chronic inflammation of the uterus;
- endometrial polyp;
- curettage of the uterine cavity and abortion;
- cancer pathology;
- bleeding disorders;
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
It is always difficult to determine exactly why the menstrual disturbance occurred. Very often, after the examination, the gynecologist prescribes additional research methods – ultrasound of the pelvic organs, computed and magnetic resonance imaging of the brain.
Be sure to determine the female sex hormones in the blood, as well as hormones of the endocrine glands, the pathology of which can be suspected. If there is an inflammatory process or infection, they determine the specific type of pathogen. If there is a suspicion of damage to the genital organs, colposcopy, hysteroscopy and ovarian biopsy are shown. In rare cases, genetic counseling is prescribed.
Treatment of menstrual cycle disorders is necessarily complex – hormone therapy, painkillers and vitamin preparations are combined. In some cases, the doctor prescribes modern homeopathy, physiotherapy and balneological procedures. Physiotherapy is contraindicated in decompensation of severe somatic diseases, severe hypertension, and tumors. With heavy bleeding, surgical curettage of the uterine mucosa is performed.