What is rTMS & How it Works?
First & Leading Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Center in Dubai
RTMS is a non invasive and painless method of stimulating human tissue using strong, time varying magnetic fields to include small current in nerve tissue. These are able to stimulate the human cortex, spinal roots and peripheral nerves without any side effects and disturbance daily life.
Which Disorders Are Treated With Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)?
TMS is FDA approved for depression and Obsessive Compulsive disorder in individuals who failed at least one medication trial but there are several investigative uses and very strong and promising results of the use of other conditions that include:
- Bipolar Disorder
- Tic Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive’s Disease(OCD)
- Parkinson Disease
- Depressive Disorder
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Panic Attacks
- PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Cognitive Disorders
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Chronic Pain (Neuropathic Pain, fibromyalgia)
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) applies gentle magnetic pulses (similar to the magnetic field used in an MRI machine) to targeted areas of the brain. Stimulating the brain in this way enhances “neuroplasticity,” or the brain’s ability to change itself, and helps restore normal function. TMS works differently than medications, and is more effective than medication for many patients. TMS does not affect other areas of the body, so for most people, it has fewer side effects than medications.What Does A Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Session Look Like?
You will sit in what looks like a dentist chair then the coil will be placed on your scalp first to determine location and appropriate intensity based on your Motor Threshold. You will stay awake and alert during the session; you can listen to music, play on your mobile or talk to the specialist as long as your head remains still. You might feel a clicking noise and tapping sensation on your scalp under the coil which does not require any sort of anaesthetic.How Does Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Work?
During an rTMS session, an electromagnetic coil is placed against your scalp near your forehead. The electromagnet painlessly delivers a magnetic pulse that stimulates nerve cells in the region of your brain involved in mood control and depression. It's thought to activate regions of the brain that have decreased activity in depression.Why it's done?
Depression is a treatable condition, but for some people, standard treatments aren’t effective. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is typically used when standard treatments such as medications and talk therapy (psychotherapy) don’t work.Monitoring Effects of Treatment!
1. Symptoms are monitored regularly: we ask the patients to provide us with weekly reports to see how they are doing, and we provide them with several different questionnaires to determine their progress during the treatment.
2. The Pattern of response varies between patients: some people respond to treatment and notice improvements within the first week, while others may start to respond at the very end of the treatment course.
3. For most people, effects last almost 5 year: studies showed that most people maintained the improvements although intermittent session may be needed as per consultant advice.
COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
Side effects are generally mild to moderate and improve shortly after an individual session and decrease over time with additional sessions. They may include:
- Scalp discomfort at the site of stimulation
- Tingling, spasms or twitching of facial muscles
Repetitive TMS isn’t invasive, doesn’t require anesthesia and can be performed in a doctor’s office. You don’t need to arrange for someone to drive you home after treatment — unless, for the first treatment, you prefer a driver until you get a sense of how you’ll feel afterward.WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT?
Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is usually done on an outpatient basis in a doctor’s office or clinic. It requires a series of treatment sessions to be effective. Generally, sessions are carried out daily, five times a week for four to six weeks.Most likely, during your first appointment:
- You’ll be taken to a treatment room,asked to sit in a reclining chair and given earplugs to wear during the procedure.
- An electromagnetic coil will be placed against your head and switched off and on repeatedly to produce stimulating pulses. This results in a tapping or clicking sound that usually lasts for a few seconds, followed by a pause. You’ll also feel a tapping sensation on your forehead. This part of the process is called mapping.
- Your doctor will determine the amount of magnetic energy neededby increasing the magnetic dose until your fingers or hands twitch. Known as your motor threshold, this is used as a reference point in determining the right dose for you. During the course of treatment, the amount of stimulation can be changed, depending on your symptoms and side effects.
If repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) works for you, your depression symptoms may improve or go away completely. Symptom relief may take a few weeks of treatment.
Why To Choose Us For Your Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)?
KindCare is one of the leading Medical Centre in the region that offer transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), which is a safe, well-tailored and non-invasive procedure.
KindCare is the only Medical Center with Professionals Doctors Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation experts in the UAE with Board Certification demonstrates professionalism and adherence to carefully developed standards as a healthcare provider.